On Assignment: Alan Hebert, Scottish Games

by Glenn Matsumura on January 7, 2011 · 6 comments

in Lighting, On Assignment

Alan Hebert, Scottish Games.

Alan Hebert, Scottish Games.

Alan Hebert is a great ambassador for the Scottish Games. He’s currently ranked 11th in the North America’s Masters class. His love for the sport shows to anyone that meets him.

Alan Hebert, Scottish Games.

Alan Hebert, Scottish Games.

I wanted to shoot both a portrait and some action photos of him throwing. Since I wanted to light the scene, I needed something that would throw light over a distance, yet cover a wide enough area. Time for the Mola.

I used a Mola Demi 22″ beauty dish for all the shots. For the portraits, I added a 40 degree grid which gave a tight specular spot of light with a slight feathered edge.

Alan Hebert, Scottish Games.

Alan Hebert, Scottish Games.

The dish itself has a modified center diffuser consisting of the standard perforated aluminum disc and a custom made plex diffuser. I had a 1/16″ milky white plex diffuser made and drilled at my local plastics shop for about $11. It softens the light slightly while still giving the classic snappy Mola look. For transporting, I use a SKB double steel drum case which is a perfect fit.

Mola Demi beauty dish with grid.

Mola Demi beauty dish with grid.

For power, I used a Dynalite 4040/SH-2000 head, Dynalite M1000wi hooked up to a Dynalite XP1100 battery. The XP1100 allows me to shoot at full power at full speed. It’s great for outdoor or location work.

To view more of the shoot, click here

Christy K February 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Hi Glenn! Just found your blog via your twitter. Love it! And I really love the diffuser modification you did on that beauty dish, that is exactly what is missing from those things! Also thanks for showing your power-pack setup…going mobile is always a challenge!

Glenn Matsumura February 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Hi Christy. Thanks for the compliments. The white plex center diffuser was my solution to Mola’s Opal glass diffuser. With the P.A.D. plus white plex, it gives a nice snappy light without being too specular. Using the fabric “sock” gives a more softbox look.

lis plaskett May 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Beautiful work Glenn…amazing color + I love the expression you caught in the close-up! You have such a unique take on sporty stuff!

Glenn Matsumura May 31, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hi Lisa. Thanks for the compliments. He was fun to photograph and kept trying to get everyone to give it a try.

Dan Coogan December 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Hi Glenn

Just searching for some info on the Mola Opal diffuser and found your blog post here:

I’ve got the Demi and the PAD with the additional spacer posts, looks like this is a good solution. Just wondered how you mounted the plexi diffuser? Did you use the original hardware the came with the PAD?

Thanks much,
Dan Coogan
602.220.9192

Glenn Matsumura January 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hi Dan,

I had the white plex diffuser made to the same dimensions as the PAD. That way, it fit with the standard mounting posts. I played with the spacers to allow the PAD to sit about an inch below the plex.

The combination softens the center light while still allowing enough light through.